Monday, February 18, 2013

P.D.A.

The need for trust and freedom in corporate Worship


I've been thinking about worship lately. Particularly, about how I worship alone in my room verses how I worship in a corporate setting. There are two vital elements, without which I find it almost impossible to fully engage in and join a worship atmosphere: freedom and trust.

Worship, for me, is about seeking Dad's face and drawing into intimate communion with him; about giving and receiving love, honor, glory. I don't need to sing or raise my hands with my eyes closed, cry about how unworthy I am or clap my palms - I can do these things, but the only time I'm limited to them is in corporate environments.

On my own, I can be doing dishes, painting, writing, dancing, yoga-ing - and be swept into worship. There's freedom in my worship closet to express my love to Dad in whatever way I feel compelled. I can make messes and dissonant noise and a fool of myself. There are no expectations, no attention to attract but my Dad's. I'm completely free.

There has been a few unique occasions when I walked into a worship service in a church building at a Sunday service and felt freedom to step publicly into my prayer closet. One was a recent experience at a church in a big red barn.

"I found a mustard seed of trust..."
Though I was a stranger in this church community, I felt a sense of unity in leaving my shoes piled at the chapel door along with everyone else. For the first hour or so, I simply sat watching and soaking. Space was open in the center for laying out, dancing, flag twirling. Tissues were available throughout the room, which I thought odd until I needed them later and realized how brilliant they were.

Eventually I noticed I was the only person in the room observing, the only person whose eyes weren't intently focused on Dad; the freedom became clearly visible. There were no words on the screen, the band played without a plan and the singers sang without lyrics. There were no expectations - people sang or prayed or laid flat on their faces. Individuals, worshiping at once in solitude and unity fully abandoned to the love of God.

I could see the freedom, but I couldn't enter into it. I wasn't thinking in these terms at the time, but I I didn't trust the people I was worshiping with. Not that they'd done anything to warrant my mistrust, but I didn't know them. I had no relationship with them. And the baggage of past religious experiences was weighing on me. To bring my intimate relationship with God into view of a barn full of strangers? For me, it took guts. And it took trust.


The realization that no one expected me to do anything was the mustard seed of trust I  needed. With it, I took time to write. This brought me into a state of personal worship with Dad, which enabled me to eventually step into the communal atmosphere at hand. As I wrote, I got a sudden urge to dance. In fact, the words "dance party" popped into my head and I felt like a kid in a candy shop. I gazed apprehensively at the open space in the middle. "When you go over there, we'll have a dance party," Dad said.

Still, I remained seated toward the back where I felt out of the way and safe. Despite the longing in my spirit, it took a great deal of self-motivation and courage-building to stand, step into the open space, and wait for the party. Every time I though about standing, my heart raced. "Go ahead, you'll like it over there," Dad assured.


A crowd surfer finds himself onstage holding a drum for
the crowd to beat during The Chariot's set.
Photo by: Kaylin Roback, 2011
In a sudden moment of resolute determination to trust Dad, I stood and strode to a space where there was room to move. The moment I did, the apprehension in my chest disappeared. Dad was right, I did like it there. And I couldn't help but sway and step to the music. I was reminded of worship I've shared with Jeremiah at The Chariot shows we've been to. Visceral, gritty, extremely loud with lots of stomping and shoving and jumping. My hunger for a dance party grew.

A minute or an hour later (time, at that point, was irrelevant and hard to keep track of), a young man walked into the open space next to me and began stomping. Rhythmic, passionate, purposeful stomping.

Another young man strode into the center and joined. Then another. This is it! And along with several others, I joined the stomping. The floor shook, our heartbeats synchronized, and we were the Church.

I don't know how long we stomped and flailed, but by the end I was a puddle on the floor. Once the tears and drool were confined to a modicum of modesty, I lifted my head enough to find those brilliant tissues.

Freedom and trust are vital to worship on so many levels, I'm convinced we can't simply ignore the need or assume the need is met. Freedom opens the door to trust; trust opens the door to freedom. The two go hand in hand and are in mutual need of each other. Though the responsibility was mine to receive the freedom and step into the trust at the red barn, the community had clearly fostered an atmosphere thick with both and readily available.

It's occurred to me that in my own Church family, we've not spent much time in worship together. We worship individually, and occasionally we come together and realize afterward, that was worship. It's been a long time, however, since we gathered intentionally. Though a great deal of trust and freedom has grown in relationships, I'm beginning to see a need for a platform from which that trust and freedom can blossom.

5 comments:

  1. Well, crap. I guess I'm not the only one.
    Brilliant as a well-placed tissue, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often wondered what it is that makes me able to dance like a loony tune in a club in the early hours of the morning and which means the most i can manage in a church worship is a strange shuuflle and rocking back and forth and a tentative pair of hands in the air. I think expectation comes into it. In the loud music club you are expected to dance, but in church the expectation is not there so much. although i rejoice in my spirit to see people finding the freedom to dance and wave and jig in church, still i feel an icy grip on my own body. i think i relegate dancing to a worldly thing since i have spent long years dancing to drum and bass and electronic music in general. I have no reference in me for the dancing that heaven deserves or desires. and so i shuffle and if im feeling brave, i bounce. But i know i can swirl and spin and bodypop and jump when the music moves me. i have never really thought about it until today, but if i can do all that for a bedroom studio producer with an analogue synth, why cant i do it for the LORD? Thanks for your article here, its brought me to a sense of self examination and mortification. next opportunity i get, i think i will be making my body worship along with my spirit and soul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul you're awesome. I think you can dance anywhere and worship God. I think you're right on about the impact of expectation. Many churches I've been to expect that we sing what's on the overhead and don't act disruptive. In other words, the expectations (or my perception of the expectations) prevent me from dancing. Expectations can be a hinderance to freedom. The thing I noticed about expectations at the red barn is that there were none. Or rather, the expectation was we're all here to worship however Holy Spirit leads so do what you want.

      Dance you're butt of my friend. Anytime anywhere haha! Every time you do, you're expressing worship and Dad loves it. And you should totally check out heavensound.com if you haven't already. Holy Spirit EDM woot!

      http://www.heavensoundmusic.com/drum-and-bass

      Delete
  3. I loved this!

    What struck me when I saw the title was that in the institutional church the concept of "Worship" has been reduced to a once per week singing event, when it's supposed to be a lifestyle. And even during this once per week event there is a preference for doing it publicly, and not alone in a room with our Groom. We have become soooo afraid of intimacy that we'll rather conquer our fear of man and look ""ridiculous" in a crowd than look ridiculous when we are alone with DAD. We'll do anything not to be alone with HIM.

    Still, this post was good - thanks for putting it out ;-)

    ReplyDelete