Thursday, February 27, 2014

Justified Servants

Kingdom reality turns earthly reality inside out and backwards. “To be first, you must be last and serve everyone,” Jesus told his disciples as they argued about who was best (Mark 9:33-35).

Humility. 

Humility is the key to the kingdom. 

So what’s the key to humility? I can tell you, it isn’t powerlessness, as I often find myself thinking. Neither is it enslavement - doing good deeds or good work while receiving nothing of value in return. Those who follow Jesus are heirs to his kingdom. We’re world changers; the most powerful, free people on the planet. Humility doesn’t negate this truth, humility makes this truth reality. 

I was working a morning shift at the coffee shack a couple weeks ago. Mornings are busy enough to require a two man team, so I worked with a co-worker named Ray. Mid-way through our shift, some friends of mine came in. 


A mother (Sue) and daughter (TJ) duo, I’ve never seen my friends together sans laughter. They told me a story about a time they laid hands on Sue’s back with a group of friends. They prayer warriors gathered around Sue in the hot seat, made declarations and spoke in tongues and all was very lovely, though not particularly healing. Until TJ started laughing. Before they knew it, the laughter had spread out of control. 

As the giggle fits subsided, without further ado, Sue stood, said thanks, and walked away healed. 

This day at the coffee shack they were particularly bubbly. They’d been listening to a song from Dispicable Me 2  called “Happy,” they told me. As they walked in, they were still singing raucously. Ray tried without success to focus them on their drink order, shrugged and resigned them to me.  

I barged into their happy parade, took their orders, and they waited in the window across from the espresso machine chatting and giggling merrily. Perhaps 20 minutes after they left, a woman in plaid came in and stood in the same window, waiting to be helped. 

“How are you doing today?” Ray asked, while I busily pulled shots and steamed milk. 

The woman in plaid paused, scrunched up her face in confusion for a moment, then answered, “Literally two seconds ago, until you asked me that, I was feeling really irritated like I was having a terrible day. But suddenly I feel really, really good. Thanks!” 

I want to utilize this post to speak to a specific group of people: Customer Servants. Those of us in the customer service industry often feel abused, demeaned, and pretty pissed off about it. Those of us who makes tips can easily find ourselves measuring our worth by the amount of money people are willing to put in our jars. Some days, despite our best efforts, we feel utterly worthless. 

I’ve written about customer service in the past. It’s a common topic for me to share on The Daily Heretic because I believe in Jesus’s commission to “go out” (Matthew 10:8). So strongly, I’ve shaped my life around it and chosen to make my everyday a mission. Most days, I find myself at work. To recap, I am a barista and my husband works at Trader Joe’s. And so, customer service. 

A day of customer service can leave me feeling a sense of hopelessness unlike any other work I’ve ever done. It’s so easy to notice the flaws in the people I interact with - ingratitude, pride, narcissism, ignorance. By the end of the day, I feel completely justified being fed up and miserable. After all, I’ve spent hours laboring to cater to the whims of wealthy people who don’t deserve it. I could be in Africa, or India, or Haiti serving people starving and dying. They’d be grateful, right? 

My friends Sue and TJ brought a cloud of kingdom joy into my coffee bungalow so thick it stuck around after they left. The woman in plaid stood within it totally unable to access it, until Ray unlocked the door with humility. That very simple “How are you doing today?” - a question we in customer service ask thousands of time in a week - was all it took to unlock the kingdom at hand and instantly change the course of the plaid woman’s day.

A few months ago I had a dream about a sushi feast being served to demons (if I find the dream, I'll link it here). Since that dream, I’ve started to notice that the negative feelings I occasionally have toward customers were feeding the demons they were carrying in with them. Whenever I noticed myself slipping into anger (or annoyance or impatience) I started to simply say “I don’t feed demons,” and that was enough to re-engage my spirit with the Kingdom and end the feast. 

The trick isn’t ending the feast. That’s easy. The moment I engage with Jesus, the feast is over. The trick is recognizing that a feast is happening. 


Following the dream, I realized my mood toward a person often shifted the moment they stepped out of their car. I’d watch them walk in, and a steady stream of reasons justifying my bitterness about serving them coursed through my mind. By the time they came in, I’d force myself to smile knowing full-well they didn’t deserve even common courtesy. 

Until I recognized this, my job was very difficult to enjoy for the entirety of a day. It was thanks to the customers who took care to beam their light and love my direction that I’ve kept my job as long as I have. 

After a period of weeks doing my best to diligently declare “I don’t feed demons,” the practice became second nature. Now when I notice a shift as someone steps out of their car, I begin asking Jesus what he likes about them. Sometimes, asking that question feels like pulling teeth. I seriously don’t want to hear it. 

But even if I want to ignore Him, I declare “I don’t feed demons” and make myself ask them “How are you doing today?” By the time this person I deigned to smile at minutes ago leaves, we’ve had a meaningful and worthwhile interaction and I feel good. Like, joy of Jesus good. It wasn’t until I watched Ray unlock the joy of the kingdom with that same question, that I began to recognize the power I wield as a humble servant. 

If you’re not relating to this, please at least don’t think I’m a rotten person you never want to get your coffee from. I should clarify, I don’t go through this with every person I serve. Gracious that would be tedious. Though I serve about 70 people per shift, it takes only few badly handled or unrecognized demonic encounters to really ruin my day. I’m describing those select few, not the vast majority. 

The problem with an unrecognized demon encounter when you’re serving people, is they’re simultaneously unrecognized Jesus encounters. Jesus said “When you serve the least of these, you serve me” (Matthew 25:31-46).


Though refusing to feed demons has become second nature, there are times when I’m duped. I’m distracted from the person directly in front of me, and my attention is draw outward to the general state of America, or the coffee industry, or democracy. The flaws in these over-arching, oppressive, de-humanizing systems make me feel, once again, my bitterness is justified. 

Recently while at work, after refusing to feed a demon but reflecting on the sense of justification I’d felt, I asked God, “Aren’t I justified, though?”

A strategy my husband shares with me often, but I’ve never been able to grasp, came to mind: “Let yourself enjoy them.”

Yes, you’re bitterness is justified. It’s true, that guy was needy, sexist, and didn’t tip to boot. And that lady cut you off mid-sentence to order her latte. Let yourself feel joy anyway. When you serve the least of these, you serve Jesus. 

The customers we serve may not seem impoverished and likely candidates to be the focus of our mission. But when Jesus was being tempted in the wilderness by Satan, he said “Man shall not live on bread alone.” If we look beyond material wealth, we will see we’re surrounded by deep, dire spiritual poverty; we’re surrounded by “the least of these.”

I’ve shared some battle strategies, that I might release this word over the customer servants: 

The King of Heaven has placed you in a position of unparalleled authority and power. Those who are last will be first. Those who are least will be greatest. Those who are powerless will be mighty. 

You’ve been position to serve, to put others before yourself, every day. When you step into your position as a humble servant, your spirit takes your throne beside Jesus. From your throne, all that you declare must come to pass. From your throne, while scrubbing floors, pouring coffee, driving busses, bagging groceries, cleaning dishes, you set the captives free, heal the sick, cast out demons, feed the hungry. Before your throne, the powers of darkness cannot stand. 

Before you write these off as encouraging, even powerful words, but nonetheless wishful thinking, let's look at some customer service statistics:
  • Customer service is the #1 factor influencing whether a consumer trusts a company.
  • 89% of consumers have stopped doing business with a company due to poor customer service.
  • 70% of buying experiences are based on how the customer feels they are being treated.
  • 55% of consumers would pay more for a better customer experience. 
  • It’s 6-7 times more costly to attract a new customer than to retain an existing one. 
  • A 10% increase in customer retention levels result in a 30% increaser in the value of the  company.
The power to make or break the company you serve is truly in your hands. A generation of servant leaders is being raised. If it's not your job to If you’re in the service industry, you’re on the front lines paving the way that others may follow. You hold the keys to the kingdom of Heaven. You’re doing revolutionary work that gives honor and worship to Jesus while crushing Satan with your pinky toe. Well freakin’ done. 


4 comments:

  1. I've been bitching and whining a lot more lately about where I work. Specifically - the management. Although we have all the nice motivational posters on the walls saying otherwise - management treats people like dirt. I work in a culture of almost complete dishonor. It's propagated at the highest levels. So I whine about it a lot. my wife has been telling me for months I ought to take it to God and get him to change things. She even suggested I go to the court of heaven.

    The other night Papa gave me a dream. I was working for a company where I assisted with performing medical procedures. The company was really screwed up. People were being over-charged for services and being ripped off left and right. Then something unexpected happened. Someone came in and fixed the billing problem. There were other problems as well and they were likewise taken care of. Everything began to work smoothly.

    So now I'm sitting here feeling like it's my responsibility as a servant to take all the crap that's wrong where I work to the court of heaven and get it fixed.

    I guess it's time. I'll keep you posted on how things work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah! Courts of heaven are a topic I'm experiencing and writing about too. I like it! If you're going to take crap, make sure you're a river not a lake. That's what I'm telling myself at least. As you said, take it to the courts. Without that step, we get stagnant and and festering and grimy. Nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please keep me updated on both your progresses! Listening to Ian I tried to get into the courts topic at the end of December but it came out as a straw fire... Maybe I can catch up later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s very informative and you are obviously very knowledgeable in this area. You have opened my eyes to varying views on this topic with interesting and solid content. servetheservantss

    ReplyDelete