Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Unhinged Servant - Part 2

My understanding and experience with worship over the past week has me firmly convinced that worship is not limited to church buildings. Nor is it limited to musical talent. It is an all the time, everywhere part of life that allows our spirits the freedom they so crave. That said, I've included two songs I've been worshiping Papa with, and I find them very relevant to this post. Let your spirits soar, friends. (Some will be initially repelled by the first video. Please get over it and listen anyway.)


Part 2: Battle For Eye

Several months ago, my friends got together for one of our last Bible studies at The Yellow House. Over hookah and snack food, we opened our Bibles and talked about our lives. We were in the thick of Acts, which led to a conversation about spiritual gifts. I was going through a phase of breaking, inhaling, growing and breaking again and again (Dan Smith, "David De La Hoz," featured above). I shared my experience filling out spiritual gifting questionnaires (From Part 1), and said "I saw Service as a gift, knew I should mark it, and specifically chose not to. And still, though I understand the value of the gift, and I'm pretty sure I have it... I'm fighting it tooth and nail."

My roommate's dad, Dave, was there. He is one of the few adults I trust to share an open, Bible focused discussion with. In response, he said, "There are three lists of gifts in the Bible. Service is on the list of gifts given directly from Father God. If you're fighting that, you're fighting God."

"No wonder," I said. And was silent the rest of the night, pondering the implications of his statement. (Ok, silent is a drastic overstatement. But the pondering has continued ever since."

Service is a gift directly from Father God. If you, like me, are in the service industry, you are in position to move under open heaven. You are in position to commune directly with Papa God, all day long. You are in position to co-labor with the God of all creation, and significantly impact lives.

What's missing from this ministry opportunity? Not a thing my friends. Ready and willing hearts are all Papa needs.

You may feel mad. Used. Overworked, underpaid. Looked down on. Undervalued. Like no matter how friendly you act and how broad you smile, your tips are shit. [If you haven't read Part One, now would be an exceptional time to do so.]

You are ok.

Christ lived to serve, and was spit on, kicked, tortured and scorned in return. You are in good company.
Not all people are in the state of mind or spirit to receive your service gift. Many expect you to serve them; they're paying you after all. Many don't respond when you ask how they're doing, and most certainly don't ask how you're doing.

You are ok.
Your ability to walk in the gift of service, to serve in Christ's image, is not dependent on others' ability to receive that gift.



I am not suggesting we allow ourselves to be walked on. I'm suggesting we expand our perspective. I'm suggesting we've likely asked for new eyes, and perhaps we have those eyes we've been asking for. Now we've got to learn to use them.

Matthew 7 is blowing my mind right now. I've had three conversations over the past week that quote it directly, and I had no idea until I started writing and felt compelled to back up my claims.

In response to my growing and breaking phase, I began asking Papa for new eyes. Man oh man did I want new eyes. But I was growing more and more frustrated. At work and at home, I felt like I was constantly cleaning up after others, doing chores that weren't mine. Resentment was festering.

One day at work, I was stocking supplies. I was annoyed because, to me, stocking is a matter of looking at the supplies, and replacing the ones that are low. Simple. But it wasn't done by the previous shift, and now I'd have to do it twice on my shift. "Couldn't they see we were out of these?" I asked myself.

"It's quite possible they can't," Papa replied. I wasn't asking you, I thought, but let him continue. "Haven't you been asking for eyes? Didn't I promise that those who ask will receive? (Matthew 7:8) I won't give new eyes without permission. You gave me permission, I gave you eyes. There's a log in your eye my dear, don't resent your friends over the stick in theirs. (7:3)"

Pre revelation, I was seriously susceptible to influence from pride. I saw areas where God and I could co-labor, and thought I was seeing my friends' laziness. Post revelation, I still get frustrated serving. But  I've begun to recognize the root of that frustration. I was working alone, instead of engaging and working with God. As I continue to press in to this revelation, I'm seeing countless areas at work, home, and everywhere in-between to manifest the gift of service. I've experienced Papa's presence in ways more tangible and unimaginable than I'd ever... imagined.

We are each designed to see differently. We are each designed to serve differently. The question isn't whether I've got new eyes, or the gift of service. I do (and so do you). The question is: to act or ignore?

No comments:

Post a Comment