Monday, August 26, 2013

Hearing Business

I was walking Somewhere last Tuesday morning, headed to my coffee bungalow for something warm. While I walked, I started thinking about having a conversation with Jesus about finances..

This is a tendency I'm recently becoming aware of: I imagine what I'd say if I were praying into something, rather than just saying it.

My dog, Somewhere, chilling at my coffee bungalow.
I used to do the same thing as a kid. My cousins and I would be playing "Dogs," a game in which we'd romp around on all fours and, well, pretend we were dogs. We'd bark, lick water out of bowls, the whole nine yards. But I couldn't just pretend. I had to narrate what I was pretending, so we were all on the same page. "Let's pretend I'm burying a bone here under the couch, and you have to try and steal it..." or "Pretend I'm barking to tell you there's someone sneaking into our hideout." Things like that.

Finally, my older cousin became exasperated. "You don't have to say 'pretend that...' before you pretend something. Just freakin' do it. That's how you pretend."

I thought I'd figured the concept out by now. But I keep catching myself essentially saying "pretend that you're praying about finances (or healing, or people, or nations)" instead of just freakin' doing it.

I caught myself in pretend prayer mode on this walk. I rolled my eyes and, in an effort to drive home the "just do it" lesson, I began speaking to Jesus out loud. I said things like "Jesus, my throne is yours. You are my king," trying to make sure I was fully transitioned out of pretend prayer.

As though I was with a coach watching game footage to prepare a strategy, Jesus and I reflected on my pretend prayer from a moment ago. I was stressing about money, but didn't want to be. A strategy drifted into my heart: Stop asking, start declaring. 

Still aloud, I began making declarations. Precise words, I don't recall. But things along the lines of: I worship Jesus, my King, and he alone. I do not worship money. Money is not my debtor.

One statement I do specifically remember: "Jeremiah and I will not be prevented from pursuing our purpose by money. Funds will not hinder us, will not close any doors."

I don't think I've made myself clear yet, but this post is an effort to address two topics: 1) How do I hear God's voice? 2) What is God saying about finances?


Too often, I hear believers say: "I don't hear God. He doesn't speak to me."

 God is always speaking. His voice is the life in the rain, my dog, my husband, my friends, and even the crazy people cutting me off on the freeway. I need to choose a frequency and tune it. One way I do this is by speaking.

The more I speak to God, the more I hear Him speak.

Yes, I have to quiet myself. To stop talking and listen. But I also have to dial in to Dad's station. Doesn't do any good to listen to a radio tuned to static, or in a language I don't speak.

I made declarations about finances. Dad hasn't stopped talking about them since. He's even started in on my husband, Jeremiah. I stumblingly explained the walk, declarations, and subsequent conversations Dad and I are having about money to Jeremiah two days ago. He came home from work yesterday and said, "Yeah, so, everyone is talking about finances today."

Rather than write more of my own thoughts, I'm going to share a sampling of the thoughts others have written that caught my radar this week (follow the green links). Dad is talking about finances (and probably some other stuff.). He's not just talking to me. I'd really like to hone in on some specifics, perhaps we can do that together in the comments below.

1) "Rethinking Missions Part 1 - Funding" was written by Praying Medic  back in May, but I just discovered it. It addresses many thoughts I've had when imagining going to YWAM, Bethel School of Super Natural Ministry, or Iris Ministries' Harvest School of Missions.

2) "You Have Permission to Prosper" is a blog post that a pal from Germany shared. The blog is written by Ray Edwards. I know nothing about him, except that he lives in Spokane, where I've recently discussed moving to open a coffee shop. You can totally just read the post and avoid the gimmicky pod cast.

3) "Your Monday Prophetic Word" was written by Lance Wallnau and shared by Nor'west Prophetic on Facebook today. I started reading because Nor'west asked, "Is he talking to you? Are you going to sit down and wait for this to be fulfilled in your life, or are you going to go after it..." I kept reading because of Lance's statement, "If you judge yourself accurately, God will judge your enemy swiftly."

4) "Accidental Activist" was posted by Jamie the Very Worst Missionary  last Wednesday.

5) "When Nobody's Looking" is a message given by Eric Johnson at Bethel on August 11. I listened to it a few days ago and it struck me as relevant to my financial conversation with Dad, though not directly about cash money.

*Author's note: this is not intended to be a lesson, but an effort to share my learning path. Please be sure to judge these prophetic words for yourself. Eat the meat and spit out the bones, so to speak. 

1 comment:

  1. i so love this. putting it together. random really isn't random.. ha!

    ReplyDelete